Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Angel. I am a wife and Mom. I love photography. I love to read. I love cooking and collecting recipes. I love traveling. I love classic country music. I love to laugh. I love Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I love hot baths. I love the smell of fresh cut hay. I love chocolate. And most importantly I love my husband and daughter.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Turkey Bowls

I've struggled with my weight since I've been about 10 years old.  It seemed like Mom and I were continually on one diet or another.  In 2005 I had gastric bypass surgery (and had a lot of surgical complications but that's another story) and I lost about 170 pounds.  Then I got pregnant and gained 40 pounds.  And now 7 years has gone by and I've gained more. 

Friday, I purchased a FitBit Charge at Target. The goal is to wear this for a few days to see what my normal activity level is.  The FitBit will track the steps you take, miles you walk, the stairs you climb, etc.  I'm going to focus on steps.  Once I see my average then each day I want to increase it by 100, then 100 again the next day, and so on.

I read on a blog about the 90/10 food rule.  It makes sense so I want to incorporate this into my lifestyle.  It's quite simple, 90% of the time try to eat the best that you can and 10% of the time (which I will save for the weekend),  eat whatever you feel like eating. 

I went shopping and today I did some food prep for my lunches next week.  I've made these turkey bowls in the past when I've tried to lose weight. A package of ground turkey -- will make 4-5 lunches depending on how you divide out your portions.  This week I made 2 turkey bowls for lunches and I reserved the rest to make stuffed peppers for supper later this week.  Here's my recipe, it's simple, can be adapted easily, and is good.  It's about 400 calories, it varies a little based on the type of cheese, type of veggies, etc.

Turkey Bowls --400 calories

1 onion, minced
1 bell pepper, minced
salt, pepper, and other seasonings (to taste, I mix these up but Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb is one of my favorites)
1 package of ground turkey
1-2 packages of veggies (I prefer Birdseye Steamfresh Mixed Veggies)
1 serving shredded cheese (I use whatever I have on hand, usually the Mexican/Fiesta Blend)
4 Tbsp. Chunky Salsa

In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey with onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and seasoning of your choice.

When it's done, I measure it  into 4 oz servings, and place in microwaveable bowls with lids.  Then I cook my veggies in the microwave and I put about 1/2 bag in each turkey bowl.  Then I add 1/3 cup cheese, and 4 tbsp. of salsa.   Stir to mix. 

Put in the fridge - then just microwave it for your lunches.

No comments: