Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Angel. I am a wife and Mom. I love photography. I love to read. I love cooking and collecting recipes. I love traveling. I love classic country music. I love to laugh. I love Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I love hot baths. I love the smell of fresh cut hay. I love chocolate. And most importantly I love my husband and daughter.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pineapple Casserole

While we were on vacation, we visited with Dan's cousin Diane who lives in Durham, North Carolina.  She took us out to eat at a local BBQ joint, which was very good, yet the BBQ was completely different than Missouri BBQ.  (that's a different story for a different time)

While we were eating and chatting, I got this recipe from Diane and I jotted it down so I could try it once we made it back home. I made it today and it was very good.  But we were puzzled by it....is it a side dish?  A dessert?  Both and Neither!

I did some research on the recipe and it's a deep south dish and meant to be served as a side dish, most usually with ham or roast pork and often at Easter.  It is also called Pineapple au Gratin in some areas of the south.

I forgot to take a picture when it came out of the oven, so I took one after we ate.  As you can see we sort of liked it!  It's made of an unlikely combination of ingredients and it doesn't really photograph well...but don't be fooled it tastes really good.


PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE

Source: Diane Thames

1 can pineapple tidbits  (do not drain)
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp flour
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Mix above ingredients well and put in a pie dish.

Crush 1 sleeve of Ritz Crakcers and pour over the pineapple mixture.

Melt 1 stick of butter and pour over the crackers.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments: