Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Angel. I am a wife and Mom. I love photography. I love to read. I love cooking and collecting recipes. I love traveling. I love classic country music. I love to laugh. I love Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I love hot baths. I love the smell of fresh cut hay. I love chocolate. And most importantly I love my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Grilled Cheeseburgers

I did something for the very first time this past weekend. I grilled - all by myself - with no help from Dan.  In the past grilling has always been Dan's thing.  Heck, I hadn't even started our grill before!  I kept it pretty simple, I made some hamburgers using a recipe and cooking method from America's Test Kitchen.  Does anyone else love that show?  I love the recipes, I love the taste tests and equipment reviews. 

 
Grilled Cheeseburgers - using a Gas Grill
Source: America's Test Kitchen TV show on PBS
 
1 large slice white sandwich bread, crust removed, bread chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)

2 tablespoons whole milk

3/4 teaspoon table salt

3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons A-1 Steak Sauce

1 pound lean ground chuck (the recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds to make 4 burgers, but I had 1 pound and made 3 burgers)

    Vegetable oil for cooking grate

 sliced cheese

hamburger buns
 
Instructions

1.      Turn all burners to high, close lid, and heat until very hot, about 15 minutes. Use grill brush to scrape cooking grate clean. Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Leave primary burner on high, turn other burner(s) to low.
2.   Meanwhile, mash bread and milk in large bowl with fork Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and steak sauce.
3.   Break up beef into small pieces over bread mixture. Using fork or hands, lightly mix together until mixture forms cohesive mass. Divide meat into 3 equal portions. Gently toss one portion of meat back and forth between hands to form loose ball. Gently flatten into 3/4-inch-thick patty that measures about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Press center of patty down with fingertips until it is about 1/2 inch thick, creating a slight depression in each patty. Repeat with remaining portions of meat.
4.   Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill burgers on hot side of grill, covered, until well seared on first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, flip burgers and continue grilling, about 3 minutes for medium-well or 4 minutes for well-done. Put cheese on burgers a few minutes before they reach desired doneness.  While burgers grill, toast buns on cooler side of grill, rotating buns as necessary to toast evenly. Serve burgers on toasted buns.


No comments: