Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Angel. I am a wife and Mom. I love photography. I love to read. I love cooking and collecting recipes. I love traveling. I love classic country music. I love to laugh. I love Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I love hot baths. I love the smell of fresh cut hay. I love chocolate. And most importantly I love my husband and daughter.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pot Roast

Nothing says Sunday dinner like a delicious pot roast.  I have made roasts several different ways and have found the Pioneer Woman's recipe to be my personal favorite.  Her recipe is now the only recipe that I use when making a roast.

Pot Roast
Source: Pioneer Woman

2 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 pound chuck roast
2 whole onions - cut in 1/2
6-8 whole carrots -cut into 2 inch slices
salt to taste
pepper to taste
4 cups beef broth (sometimes I need more than 4 cups)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 springs fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 275*

Peel and cut two onions in half and cut the carrots into 2 inch slices (I don't peel the carrots I just wash before cutting.)

Generously salt and pepper each side of the roast.  Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add 2-3 tbsp. of olive oil (or you can do a olive oil/butter combination.) When the oil is hot add in the onions browning them on one side then flipping to the other side.  Remove onion to a plate.  Throw in the carrots and toss them around until slightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Remove carrots and put on plate with onions.  (may need to add a bit more olive oil at this point)  Put the meat into the Dutch oven and sear it for a minute on each side until brown all over.  Remove the roast to a plate.  With the burner on high, pour in 1 cup beef broth to deglaze the pan. (scrape the bottom with a whisk).  When finished with that, add the roast back into the pan and add enough beef broth to cover the meat halfway.  Add in the onion, carrots, thyme, and rosemary.  Cover with lid and roast in a 275* oven for 3 hours (for a 3 pound roast) or 4 hours for a 4-5 pound roast.


**My Dutch oven isn't large enough to add potatoes to a roast which is what my Mom always did.  So I just serve my roast with mashed potatoes.

No comments: