Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Angel. I am a wife and Mom. I love photography. I love to read. I love cooking and collecting recipes. I love traveling. I love classic country music. I love to laugh. I love Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I love hot baths. I love the smell of fresh cut hay. I love chocolate. And most importantly I love my husband and daughter.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Tacos - Barry Style

This summer we've started a new thing.  My best-est friend Jennifer and her husband bought a hot tub.  So every Saturday night (well maybe not every Saturday night but almost every one!) we go over for dinner, visiting, and a dip in the hot tub.  Sometimes Barry fires up the fire pit and we roast marshmallows. It's always a great time.  The kids love playing together and it's a relaxing evening for Dan & I.

This past Saturday night, I made an apple pie to take over and Barry made tacos.  His version of tacos are OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD.  Seriously! They are phenomenal.

Taco's Barry Style
Source: Barry Hoofnagle

Butter Crisco
Mission brand flour tortillas (super soft burrito size)

1 pound Hamburger -I brown my hamburger with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When it's cooked through then add in 4 oz can of tomato sauce and 1 package of Williams taco seasoning. Cook on low for a few minutes to heat up the sauce.

Toppings of your choice, we like:
Sour Cream
Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
Lettuce
Tomatoes, diced
Onion, diced
Black Olives, sliced
Salsa
Ketchup (I like this and I know it's a redneck thing, I'm okay with embracing my roots.)

So what I did was I assembled all the toppings.  Then I browned my hamburger, once I added in the tomato sauce and seasoning packet I put it on low to simmer and started on my tortillas.  (which is what makes this recipe so special.)

In a large skillet put a dollop of Crisco and heat.  When hot put in 1 flour tortilla.  Cook until brown (but still soft) --- be careful this doesn't take long, then flip and do the same on the other side.  Put on a plate covered with a paper towel.  Then cover with a paper towel and continue until you've cooked all the tortillas that you will need, adding more Crisco as you go as needed.

Per Barry the secret to making these taste so yummy...is this.  Nothing else will be as good.  After tasting his, who am I to argue?


No comments: